9/18/2006

Creperie Beau Monde

August 12, 2006 Cuisine: French, Desserts & Bakeries, Other 624 S 6th Street, Philadelphia 19147 At Bainbridge St Phone: 215-592-0656 Website: www.creperie-beaumonde.com -- Appetizer: Escargot with garlic butter, crostini and bread Entree I: Saumon Fume - Smoked Salmon served with roasted leeks & creme fraiche Entree II: "Rich Man's Egg McMuffin" - eggs over easy with ham and goat cheese Dessert I: Sweet Crepe Special - Filled with peaches, blackberries, a ginger creme anglaise, and topped off with vanilla ice cream Dessert II: Dulce de leche with bananas -- Excerpt from El Pork Logs - August 14, 2006 - with new insights: Earlier this week I was reading the Astronomer's travel journal from his trip to Europe and started craving crepes, especially since the Astronomer thought that the crepes he enjoyed in France were on par with the ones served at Creperie Beau Monde in terms of taste and authenticity. I think that food tastes best when I've been craving it for a couple of days. We started off our feast with some escargot with garlic butter, crostini and bread. I was hoping the escargot would be served inside their shells, but sadly those preparations are only executed outside the US. The crostini and bread were excellent vehicles for dipping and consuming the escargot. For our savory crepes the Astronomer ordered the Saumon Fume, while I ordered my all-time favorite combination of eggs over easy with ham and goat cheese. Both crepes were spectacular. The crepes were a good size and expertly filled with the perfect amount of each ingredient. The crepes themselves were made of buckwheat flour, as is traditional in the region of Brittany. It always surprises me how crepes manage to fill me up even though it seems like very little food. For desert the Astronomer ordered the sweet crepe special of the evening which contained peaches, blackberries, a ginger creme anglaise, topped off with some vanilla ice cream. I ordered my favorite dessert combination of dulce de leche with bananas. While the special was tasty, I adored my sweet crepe more. There's just something about ripened bananas accompanied by a caramelized sauce within a crisp crepe that gets me every single time. Creperie Beau Monde has been a constant in my restaurant rotation since Swarthmore and remains a favorite today. The Astronomer and I have dined at Beau Monde at least four times together, maybe five. We love this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home